the wine
Franciacorta

the land
Franciacorta

History

The Consortium was founded on 5 March 1990 in Corte Franca to guarantee and monitor compliance with the rules for producing Franciacorta wine. The name of the geographic region where its Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Pinot Blanc vines are grown is used to identify this wine, which is produced exclusively by the method of secondary fermentation in the bottle. In one word, Franciacorta describes an area, a production method and a wine.

Having moved to its present site at Erbusco in 1993, the Consorzio Franciacorta has about 200 members including wine growers, wine producers, bottlers and others involved in the production chain for the designations Franciacorta DOCG, Curtefranca DOC and Sebino IGT. Its distinctive logo with a castellated letter F distinguishes its wines and refers back to the ancient mediaeval towers that characterise 19 municipalities in the heart of Lombardy, by the shores of Lake Iseo: Adro, Brescia (part), Capriolo, Cazzago San Martino, Cellatica, Coccaglio, Cologne, Corte Franca, Erbusco, Gussago, Iseo, Monticelli Brusati, Ome, Paderno Franciacorta, Paratico, Passirano, Provaglio, Rodengo Saiano and Rovato,

A Brief History Great wines have been produced in the region of Franciacorta since the sixteenth century. A study carried out on the Napoleonic land register of 1809 certifies the existence of almost 1000 hectares of vines, which would have been well above the needs of the 40,000 inhabitants, and therefore clearly destined for sale. Its modern history began in 1961, with 11 producers, 29 hectares of vineyards and a production of 2000 hectolitres of Pinot di Franciacorta.