Places of interest: Abbeys and Churches
Cappella Madonna Della Pace
via Cominotti - 25033 Cologne
Monte Orfano, presso rifugio Alpini, accesso da via Cominotti - 25033 Cologne
Ingresso libero. Nessuna prenotazione.
Chiesa di S. Michele
Via S. Michele, 17 – 25050 Ome
Orari di apertura: Sabato 9:00 - 12:00 e 14:00 - 19:00; Domenica 9:00 - 19:00
Ingresso libero. Nessuna prenotazione.
Chiesa Dei Ss. Gervasio E Protasio
Piazza Garibaldi - 25033 Cologne
Orari di apertura: 8:00 - 12:00 e 15:00 - 19:00
Ingresso gratuito e libero. Nessuna prenotazione.
Vecchia Pieve – Torre Romana
Via Castello – 25030 Coccaglio (BS)
Cluniac Monastery of San Pietro in Lamosa
Via Monastero, 5 - 25050 Provaglio d'Iseo
Located near Provaglio Iseo, the monastery of San Pietro in Lamosa is an excellent place for enjoying a beautiful view of the bogs of Sebino, which were declared a Nature Reserve in 1983 and can be explored on foot or by bicycle. The monastery is named after the “Lame”, the marshes that the Cluniac monks cleaned up using new agricultural techniques, after having been gifted the complex by two Lombard landowners in 1083. During the Middle Ages, the monastery was a pilgrimage destination and also a resting place for the merchants and travellers who trekked along the Franzacurta road that led from Brescia to Iseo. In 1536 the monastery was passed on to the Benedictine nuns of Santa Giulia in Brescia, who retained possession of it until the suppressions of the eighteenth century. It then became the property of the Bergomi-Bonini family, who gave the church to the parish of Provaglio in 1983. The recently restored monastery of San Pietro has regained its original appearance, with its mediaeval apse, bell tower and vast nave, which was extended in the mid-sixteenth century. The frescoes that adorn the church, some of which reveal the influences of Gambara, Foppa and Romanino, have also been partly salvaged. The original Romanesque lines are best seen from the outside, in the apses and splayed windows. The well-preserved Baroque chapel is located on the square in front of the church, which seems to rise magically from the Lame marshes behind it.
Via P. Da Cemmo - Monte Orfano 25038 Rovato
This complex is located in a fantastic position on the eastern slopes of Monte Orfano, in the municipality of Rovato. In 1449, two brothers from the congregation of the Servi di Maria (Servants of Mary) obtained land to build a convent and a church, which was completed in 1503. It soon became a pilgrimage destination, particularly during major festivals dedicated to the Virgin Mary, until 1772, when it was suppressed. It was only in 1963 that the Servi di Maria re-established a religious community within the complex, which also houses works of great artistic importance, including an Annunciation by Romanino (1485-1566). The convent has a cloister with perfect geometry. The simple lines of the columns and arches frame the central well, which is adorned with a refined wrought iron decoration.
Olivetan Abbey of San Nicola
Via Brescia, 83 - 25050 Rodengo Saiano
The Abbey of San Nicola, one of the most monumental religious buildings in Italy, was founded in the tenth century and flourished for a second time thanks to the Olivetani, who obtained possession of the Roden priory in 1446. In 1969, the complex – which was then the property of the State – was given over to use by religious practitioners, who returned it to its original purpose. This marked the beginning of a massive renovation that restored the church, the cloister from the late sixteenth century with its combined columns, the rustic fifteenth-century cloister, the refectory, the monumental gallery and various rooms that house masterpieces of the greatest exponents of art from the Brescia region, especially from the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. It houses a workshop for the restoration of books.
Parish Church of San Giorgio
Via Vittorio Emanuele, 18 25031 Capriolo Italia
The parish church of Capriolo, dedicated to Saint George, was built in XVII century and was restructured at the beginning of the XX century. Inside the church excellent artworks are stored: a Resurrection by Girolamo Romanino, a sixteenth-century painter from Brescia, Saint Gervasio and Protasio Martyrdom by Callisto Piazza and a fifteenth-century wood statue depicting the Old Maiden.
Pieve of Sant'Andrea
Via Pieve, 36 - 25049 Iseo
According to the legend, the bishop Saint Vigilio founded the Pieve in the VI century, perhaps above an ancient roman temple. The church was rebuilt in XII century with Langobardic shapes and in the XIX century architect Rodolfo Vantini refurnished the interior. Although the remakes, the bell tower keeps its original form and is described as “the most beautiful Romanesque bell Tower in Brescia”. Inside the Church are stored two interesting artworks by the XIX century painters Angelo Inganni and Francesco Hayez.
Romanesque Pieve of Santa Maria Maggiore
Via Castello - 25030 Erbusco
This Pieve was rebuilt in the XIII century in Romanesque – Gothic style with an apsis polygonal outside and circular inside made of white stones. Some grey sandstone fragments of the Pluteo give testimony of the ancient origin of the Church and capitals recall the Gothic architecture. The remarkable frescos inside the Church are attributed to painters influenced by Gentile da Fabriano, who was working in the city of Brescia during the same years.
Sanctuary of the Madonna dell'Avello
Via Cerezzata 25050 Ome Italia
Situated on the Cerezzata Hill, a suburb of Ome, the Shrine dated back to the XVI century. The Blessed Virgin Mary statue, made in local stone in considered “the most ancient Mather of God image in the land of Brescia” (Father Murachelli, 1956). The inner walls of the church are decorated with a precious circle of frescoes of the first half of the XVI century.
During the centuries, the Shrine has been transformed and expanded many times: in the XVIII, the orientation of the church was changed to host all the pilgrims arriving from every part of Brescia to celebrate the Nativity of the Virgin, September 8.
Sanctuary of the Madonna della Stella
Via Stella, 17 25060 Cellatica Italia
Erected in the XVI century, the Shrine conserves some remarkable works by Romanino and Pietro Marone. The work of Grazio Cossali on Saint Borromeo’s life has an historical importance: the painter personally met the Saint during the XVI century.