Places of interest:
Via Musei, 55 - 25121 Brescia
The historic heart of Brescia is home to substantial archaeological remains relating to monumental buildings of the Capitoline area of the ancient city. In Roman times, Brescia - Brixia - was one of the most important cities of northern Italy. The Capitolium was the main temple of every Roman city and was the symbol of the culture of Rome. It was devoted to the cult of the “Capitoline Triad”, made up of the main gods of the Latin pantheon: Jupiter, Juno and Minerva. The faithful would gather for the main ceremonies in the space in front, where sacrifices were also made. Today it is possible to enter the temple and see the original parts of its decoration and the furnishing of the large cells. Inside, it still retains the original floors, slabs of coloured marble, arranged to form geometric patterns (opus sectile) that date back to the first century AD. Fragments of cult statues and furniture were also placed inside the cells In addition to stone altars from Botticino, which were found here in the nineteenth century. The tour opens with an account of the long history of this area, its discovery and its functions, in a pleasant atmosphere where images and voices accompany visitors on their journey time.
Via Cavour, 29 - 25030 Paratico BS
+39 035 914082
Lantieri tower is located in the heart of Paratico village, itself located within the famous Franciacorta wine area, known for its exquisite wines and beautiful countryside which overlooks the south-east bank of Lake Iseo.
The tower was built by Lantieri family during the 14th century and, along with other fortified residential structures, is surrounded by a defensive wall. It’s construction seems to be linked to Giacomo Lanfranchino who purposely sought to expand the fortification structure of the village. It is structurally very well preserved and clearly shows it’s medieval architecture.
Externally, covered by local sandstone, to appears to be harsh, and rendered pleasant only by a few curved windows. It contains four floors and is built on top of a rocky outcrop in order to increase its defensive function.
The main entrance was located on the ground floor of the northern wall, made of a very valuable portal marked with the family’s stem. On the ground floor, covered by an arched stone ceiling, during the medieval era served as a canteen and deposit. The access to the superior level was possible only through a trap door located in the ceiling, while externally, through a wooden staircase, later rebuilt in monolithic stone. The tower, for a long period inhabited, is today property of the town hall.
Following an important conservative restoration commissioned by Paratico’s municipality and concluded in 2009, a quadrisphere, was positioned on the ground floor. Three examples of these Italian innovative installation exist, one of which is located in Rome’s CNR (Centro Nazionale della Ricerca). In entering, the visitor finds himself in an obscured room, and once the quardisphere is lit, he is literally catapulted into a new world made of images, mirrors, lights, colors and sounds. It is difficult to translate these effects into words.
We invite you to try this unforgettable experience for yourself.
Cappella Madonna Della Pace
via Cominotti - 25033 Cologne
Monte Orfano, presso rifugio Alpini, accesso da via Cominotti - 25033 Cologne
Ingresso libero. Nessuna prenotazione.
Chiesa di S. Michele
Via S. Michele, 17 – 25050 Ome
Orari di apertura: Sabato 9:00 - 12:00 e 14:00 - 19:00; Domenica 9:00 - 19:00
Ingresso libero. Nessuna prenotazione.
Chiesa Dei Ss. Gervasio E Protasio
Piazza Garibaldi - 25033 Cologne
Orari di apertura: 8:00 - 12:00 e 15:00 - 19:00
Ingresso gratuito e libero. Nessuna prenotazione.
Piazza Garibaldi 20 - 25033 Cologne
Orari di apertura: sabato 14:30 - 17:30
Presso il centro culturale – Biblioteca
Per informazioni: biblioteca T. 030 7058146
Vecchia Pieve – Torre Romana
Via Castello – 25030 Coccaglio (BS)
Villa Fassati Barba
Via Castello, 11 25050 Passirano (BS)
Villa Fassati Barba, elegante e raffinata dimora del XVIII secolo, è situata nel cuore della Franciacorta.
Dal parco secolare della Villa, caratterizzato da uno stagno centrale e maestosi pini, è possibile ammirare il castello medioevale di Passirano circondato da dolci colline tessute di vigneti. Il complesso della villa e del castello forma un insieme assai piacevole ed elegante di residenza signorile.
Villa Fassati Barba è il luogo ideale per matrimoni indimenticabili: il grande parco esterno e le eleganti sale della dimora settecentesca sono lo scenario ideale per il grande giorno. Ma anche feste, cene di gala e meeting aziendali trovano perfetta collocazione in questa antica e nobile casa.
Visite guidate alla Villa su prenotazione.
Botanical Garden at Ome
Via San Lorenzo - 25050 Ome
Dedicated to conifers with examples from all seven existing families, it is located in the Fus valley. It is an oasis of peace that extends around a small lake and changes appearance with the passing of the seasons.
Brescia Hills Park
Established in 2000, it covers 4,309 hectares in the area of Brescia as well as other municipalities of Franciacorta (Rodengo Saiano and Cellatica).
Cavour Square in Rovato
Piazza Cavour - 25038 Rovato
For almost two centuries piazza Cavour has been the heart of Rovato. Its main characteristics are the beautiful semicircular arcade to the north of the square and the peculiar cobblestone pavement. The realization of this square was promoted in 1838 by Carlo Angelini who was the provost at the time. His intention was to create a market square and he assigned the architect Rodolfo Vantini the task of planning the work. In order to make room for this square the south walls of the castle (dating back to 1453) were demolished and the old moat was filled in. Vantini decided to spare the entrance of the castle with its imposing arch which even now leads to the parish church of Santa Maria Assunta and to the heart of old Rovato. In more recent years, then, new shops and porticos were built in order to satisfy the influx of tradesmen who come to Rovato every week on market day (the market now is held in Foro Boario area). Piazza Cavour hosts now many events, such as concerts, theatre and cinema shows and trade exhibitions.
Cluniac Monastery of San Pietro in Lamosa
Via Monastero, 5 - 25050 Provaglio d'Iseo
Located near Provaglio Iseo, the monastery of San Pietro in Lamosa is an excellent place for enjoying a beautiful view of the bogs of Sebino, which were declared a Nature Reserve in 1983 and can be explored on foot or by bicycle. The monastery is named after the “Lame”, the marshes that the Cluniac monks cleaned up using new agricultural techniques, after having been gifted the complex by two Lombard landowners in 1083. During the Middle Ages, the monastery was a pilgrimage destination and also a resting place for the merchants and travellers who trekked along the Franzacurta road that led from Brescia to Iseo. In 1536 the monastery was passed on to the Benedictine nuns of Santa Giulia in Brescia, who retained possession of it until the suppressions of the eighteenth century. It then became the property of the Bergomi-Bonini family, who gave the church to the parish of Provaglio in 1983. The recently restored monastery of San Pietro has regained its original appearance, with its mediaeval apse, bell tower and vast nave, which was extended in the mid-sixteenth century. The frescoes that adorn the church, some of which reveal the influences of Gambara, Foppa and Romanino, have also been partly salvaged. The original Romanesque lines are best seen from the outside, in the apses and splayed windows. The well-preserved Baroque chapel is located on the square in front of the church, which seems to rise magically from the Lame marshes behind it.
Lake Iseo (also known as Sebino, its ancient Roman name) is the sixth largest lake in Italy, and it has the singular distinction of being home the largest inhabited lake island in Europe: Montisola. It was formed by the excavating action and subsequent withdrawal of an alpine glacier.
The landscape and nature of the Lake provide a happy meeting point between north and south. The north has a crown of snow-capped mountains, abundant river water, green hills caused by the rain and a cool breeze that takes the edge off the summer heat. The south has a mild climate, a bright sky and Mediterranean flora symbolised by the olive tree. The landscape has also been marked by the encounter between land and water: a dramatic encounter where the high cliffs drop straight into the lake, and a gentle encounter where the mountains and hills slope down towards the water’s edge.
Via P. Da Cemmo - Monte Orfano 25038 Rovato
This complex is located in a fantastic position on the eastern slopes of Monte Orfano, in the municipality of Rovato. In 1449, two brothers from the congregation of the Servi di Maria (Servants of Mary) obtained land to build a convent and a church, which was completed in 1503. It soon became a pilgrimage destination, particularly during major festivals dedicated to the Virgin Mary, until 1772, when it was suppressed. It was only in 1963 that the Servi di Maria re-established a religious community within the complex, which also houses works of great artistic importance, including an Annunciation by Romanino (1485-1566). The convent has a cloister with perfect geometry. The simple lines of the columns and arches frame the central well, which is adorned with a refined wrought iron decoration.
Museum of Contemporary Art Remo Bianco c/o La Montina
Via Baiana 25040 - Monticelli Brusati
The “La Montina” Estates is the only institution in Europe that can claim ownership of a real contemporary art museum (officially recognised by the Lombardy Region) mainly dedicated to Remo Bianco, (Milan, 1922 - 1988), the world renowned artist famous for his multi-material works that combine varied materials and techniques. The museum periodically houses solo exhibitions by contemporary artists, whose works are brought to life in a unique museum route that winds through cellars, barrels, majestic rooms and bottles resting on the lees.
Olivetan Abbey of San Nicola
Via Brescia, 83 - 25050 Rodengo Saiano
The Abbey of San Nicola, one of the most monumental religious buildings in Italy, was founded in the tenth century and flourished for a second time thanks to the Olivetani, who obtained possession of the Roden priory in 1446. In 1969, the complex – which was then the property of the State – was given over to use by religious practitioners, who returned it to its original purpose. This marked the beginning of a massive renovation that restored the church, the cloister from the late sixteenth century with its combined columns, the rustic fifteenth-century cloister, the refectory, the monumental gallery and various rooms that house masterpieces of the greatest exponents of art from the Brescia region, especially from the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. It houses a workshop for the restoration of books.
Via Santa Eufemia, 5 - 25040 Nigoline di Corte Franca
This delightful Villa is still a private home, and its rooms and halls are enhanced with antique furniture and frescoes painted in the eighteenth century. Between the late nineteenth and early twentieth century, Paolina Calegari Torri and her husband Alessandro opened their home to the public and transformed it into a veritable “cultural salon” frequented by distinguished guests where they held parties, meetings, debates and cultural initiatives. Participants included writers and poets like Carducci, Fogazzaro and Giovanni Pascoli, painters and sculptors like Francesco Michetti, Antonio Salvetti, Franz Lenbach, Hugo Freiherr von Habermann, Serafino Ramazzotti and Domenico Trentacoste, composers and musicians such as Paolo Chimeri and Adele Bignami Mazzucchelli, men of Church and State such as the Bishop Geremia Bonomelli and the Minister Giuseppe Zanardelli and, finally, intellectuals, scientists, thinkers and aristocrats from the most important families of Brescia. Palazzo Torri still remains a centre for cultural activities and a picturesque location for events, meetings and weddings. It also offers rooms on a B&B basis. It is a historic site, which can be visited by appointment.
Visits on request.
Location available for events and weddings.
Rent rooms or whole palace for holidays.
Parish Church of San Giorgio
Via Vittorio Emanuele, 18 25031 Capriolo Italia
The parish church of Capriolo, dedicated to Saint George, was built in XVII century and was restructured at the beginning of the XX century. Inside the church excellent artworks are stored: a Resurrection by Girolamo Romanino, a sixteenth-century painter from Brescia, Saint Gervasio and Protasio Martyrdom by Callisto Piazza and a fifteenth-century wood statue depicting the Old Maiden.
Park of the northern Oglio River
This park stretches along the river that flows from Lake Iseo and flows slowly in the plains of Lombardy. Also includes two of the municipalities of Franciacorta, Paratico and Capriolo, where there are some interesting paths. Many initiatives are organised throughout the year to make the most of the local environment, flavours and traditions.
Pieve of Sant'Andrea
Via Pieve, 36 - 25049 Iseo
According to the legend, the bishop Saint Vigilio founded the Pieve in the VI century, perhaps above an ancient roman temple. The church was rebuilt in XII century with Langobardic shapes and in the XIX century architect Rodolfo Vantini refurnished the interior. Although the remakes, the bell tower keeps its original form and is described as “the most beautiful Romanesque bell Tower in Brescia”. Inside the Church are stored two interesting artworks by the XIX century painters Angelo Inganni and Francesco Hayez.
Ricci Curbastro Agricultural and Wine Museum
Via Adro, 37 - 25031 Capriolo
The Ricci Curbastro Agricultural and Wine Museum is the result of over thirty years of research by Gualberto Ricci Curbastro. Opened in July 1986 and continuously expanded over the years, the museum is a unique place in Franciacorta that preserves thousands of objects that bear witness to the agricultural work of the past, in the buildings of the Azienda Agricola Ricci Curbastro. Four rooms divided by theme can be visited by reservation, to guide you and explain the work in the vineyards, then and now. The Museum is open all year from 9 to 12 and from 2 to 6. The visit lasts one to one and a half hours, for a maximum number of 100 participants.
Romanesque Pieve of Santa Maria Maggiore
Via Castello - 25030 Erbusco
This Pieve was rebuilt in the XIII century in Romanesque – Gothic style with an apsis polygonal outside and circular inside made of white stones. Some grey sandstone fragments of the Pluteo give testimony of the ancient origin of the Church and capitals recall the Gothic architecture. The remarkable frescos inside the Church are attributed to painters influenced by Gentile da Fabriano, who was working in the city of Brescia during the same years.
Sanctuary of the Madonna dell'Avello
Via Cerezzata 25050 Ome Italia
Situated on the Cerezzata Hill, a suburb of Ome, the Shrine dated back to the XVI century. The Blessed Virgin Mary statue, made in local stone in considered “the most ancient Mather of God image in the land of Brescia” (Father Murachelli, 1956). The inner walls of the church are decorated with a precious circle of frescoes of the first half of the XVI century.
During the centuries, the Shrine has been transformed and expanded many times: in the XVIII, the orientation of the church was changed to host all the pilgrims arriving from every part of Brescia to celebrate the Nativity of the Virgin, September 8.
Sanctuary of the Madonna della Stella
Via Stella, 17 25060 Cellatica Italia
Erected in the XVI century, the Shrine conserves some remarkable works by Romanino and Pietro Marone. The work of Grazio Cossali on Saint Borromeo’s life has an historical importance: the painter personally met the Saint during the XVI century.
Santa Giulia - City Museum
Via dei Musei, 81/b Brescia
Journey through the history, art and spirituality of Brescia, from prehistoric to modern times. This unique attraction is housed in a monastery founded by Desiderius, the Lombard king, and his wife Ansa, built on the remains of a pre-existing Roman domus. The monastery of San Salvatore (later called Santa Giulia) had properties in Franciacorta, which are documented as early as 766 (in the diploma of Adelchi). The museum complex includes the basilica of San Salvatore, the oratory of Santa Maria in Solario, the fifteenth-century church of Santa Giulia and Renaissance cloisters. It periodically hosts important art exhibitions.
The Peat-Moors of Sebino
Via Sebina – 25050 Provaglio d’Iseo
These are located on the outskirts of the Franciacorta area, where the hills slope down to Lake Iseo. A natural oasis of international interest and a unique site within Europe, it has been recognised as a Nature Reserve by the Lombardy Region since 1983. With their ponds and marsh vegetation, the bogs cover around 360 hectares, and they can be visited by following paths and wooden walkways that are well-integrated with the landscape. The best place to admire them with as a whole is the courtyard of the monastery of San Pietro in Lamosa, in Provaglio d’Iseo. The bogs are a special environment that was gradually created from the end of the eighteenth century to the middle of the twentieth following the extraction of peat, which was used as fuel. The excavation has given rise to numerous basins that are still visible today, providing a natural habitat for hundreds of birds and marsh plants. As such, the bogs are now surrounded by thick reeds and rushes and cattails, dotted with sparse trees, while the ponds are covered with water lilies (which are in full bloom from May to September). The many types of birds that live undisturbed at the site include as many as 25 species of marsh birds, such as herons, great crested grebes, purple herons, cormorants, shovelers, marsh harriesr and the black kites.
The Santissima Park at Gussago
Built by the Dominicans in the 14th century on top of the hill of the same name, which is covered in terraces and vineyards, the Santissima is one of the most scenic places in Franciacorta and a symbol of Gussago. The park contains well-equipped stopping points, educational panels, a viewpoint, and a pedestrian/cycle track that circumnavigates the park.
The Village of Maglio
Via Maglio, 51 - 25050 Ome
Maglio Averoldi is a former mediaeval smithy that is still operational today. It is now a living museum, where you can get to know the history and manufacturing methods of ironworking, one of the most typical traditional activities from the province of Brescia. In particular, it teaches visitors about the art of “bruzafér”, a technique for working red-hot iron, used to create tools, furniture and sculptures, and once widespread in Franciacorta. The first document that mentions Maglio dates back to 1155. After that time, despite ups and downs, the forge remained in business until the death of its last owner, Andrea Averoldi, in 1984. Having been bought and restored by the Municipality, it now offers practical demonstrations of this ancient and valuable work. The house where Andrea Averoldi lived now hosts the collections of Pietro Malossi, an antiquarian from Brescia who collected many valuable objects and works of art and who donated them to the Foundation that bears his name in 1988.